What keeps us alive?
In April 2018, Year 3 and Year 4 began their Learning Exploration. The Guided question was ‘What keeps us alive?’
The Learning targets were:
- Identify that humans need the right types and amounts of nutrition, that they cannot make their own food and they get nutrition from what they eat.
- Identify that humans and some animals have skeletons for support and protection.
- Identify that humans and some animals have muscles for movement.
- Identify the different types of teeth in humans and their simple functions.
- Describe the simple functions of the basic parts of the digestive system in humans.
We studied the different types of nutrition needed by humans. We identified that humans have a skeleton for support and protection yet not all animals do. We explored muscles and how they enable humans to move. We explored the different types of teeth in humans, their simple functions and teeth hygiene. We investigated the digestive system in humans and identified its basic parts. Throughout our learning, we read the novel ‘Demon Dentist’ by David Walliams.
Hooks / Learning Visits and Environments
We hooked the children and enhanced our classrooms by developing the learning environment to include a doctor’s waiting room, a giant model mouth and digestive system. The children visited Eureka (a children’s museum) where they explored a range of interactive exhibits designed to inspire enquiring minds to find out about about themselves. They developed their knowledge and understanding of teeth hygiene during a visit from a Dental Hygienist. Miss Bisby was our in-house expert, utilising her Degree in I.T.
Our significant assessment pieces for this exploration were writing based, writing an information text on a healthy eating, producing a play script based on our novel ‘Demon Dentist’ followed by a newspaper report.
The Learning Exploration culminated when we created four, child focused, interactive information boards about skeleton, teeth, muscles & digestion to be displayed in the local doctors and dentist. The information boards were presented to…………………………..on…………………………………, inviting the local community to the event. You can see pictures of the learning on our website www.greentopschool.co.uk/blog